• Sunday , 28 May 2017
Published : 21 Apr 2017, 10:12:52 | Updated : 21 Apr 2017, 11:15:09AA-A+
printer

Paris shooting: Gunman was 'focus of anti-terror' probe

Online Desk
The gunman who shot dead a policeman in Paris on Thursday has been identified from papers left in his car, but French officials are yet to release his name.


Local media say the 39-year-old lived in the city's suburbs, and had been seen as a potential Islamist radical, BBC reports.


The gunman also wounded two police officers before he was killed by security forces on the Champs-Elysees.


President Francois Hollande is to chair a security cabinet meeting, as France readies for Sunday's presidential poll.


Mr Hollande said he was convinced the attack was "terrorist-related", adding that the security forces had the full support of the nation and a national tribute would be paid to the fallen policeman.


So-called Islamic State (IS) said one of its "fighters" had carried out the attack.


What is known about the attacker?


Paris prosecutor François Molins said shortly after the shootings that "the attacker's identity is known and has been verified".


"I won't reveal it, because investigations and raids are already under way, in particular to establish whether there is any evidence or not of complicity (in this attack)," he said, adding that more information would be released on Friday.


According to French media, the attacker served several years in prison for firing on police officers with a gun in the early 2000s.


More recently the intelligence services identified him as a potential Islamist radical.


Meanwhile, IS identified the attacker as Abu-Yusuf al-Baljiki, in a statement carried by its Amaq news outlet.


Could the attack influence the elections?


The 11 candidates standing in Sunday's closely fought presidential election were engaged in a final joint TV appearance to argue their policies as the attack happened.


Marine Le Pen, of the far-right national Front, tweeted: "I feel for and stand by our security forces, who have been targeted again."


Centre-right contender François Fillon also went on Twitter to pay "tribute to the security forces who give their lives to protect ours".


Both Ms Le Pen and Mr Fillon later announced they were cancelling campaign events scheduled for Friday, the last day of canvassing for votes.


Independent centrist Emmanuel Macron said during his TV appearance that it was a president's "first duty to protect" and he expressed his "solidarity" with the police.


Jean-Luc Mélenchon, standing for the far left, tweeted: "I strongly feel for the policemen killed and wounded and their families. Terrorist attacks will never go unpunished, accomplices never forgotten."


Read More
Comments
Editor : Golam Sarwar
Publisher : A. K. Azad
Phone : 8870179-85, 8870195
Fax : 8870191, 88770196
Advertisement : 8870190
136 Tejgaon Industrial Area, Dhaka-1208
Without permission it is strictly prohibited to use the content of this site.
powered by :
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved